Tuesday, November 4, 2014

City/Landscape Artist Statement

I was able to create two complex compositions (one cityscape and one landscape) by having great craftsmanship, compositions and creativity. For my cityscape I knew that I wanted to do something with some of the photographs that I took at MIAD. There was one photograph in particular that stood out to me, that reflection of buildings in a puddle. It was one of my favorite picture I took that day and it sparked a great idea for me. My concept for this piece was about the idea that we are slowly losing so much history each day and things are just slowly being forgotten about. I portrayed this idea by creating a mixed media piece where the reflection of the buildings in the puddle represent all of the history and the marked cityscape represents all of the new things in life that are slowly overpowering the history. Overall, I love the way that this piece turned out, it has an almost abstract feel to it and it was one of the first true mixed media pieces that I have done. For my landscape piece, I decided to use collage. As I was scanning through some magazines I came across a photograph of all of these new windmills and that that sparked my idea for the piece. This collage represents the idea that we are so incredibly consumed in technology now-a-days and how if we would just look up from our screens we would see such a beautiful world. I love the way that each part of the collage was very separate but I was able to put them together in a way that could be mistake as a true photograph. Overall, I believe that I had great compositions and concepts for both of my pieces but if I could change one thing, I would have loved to do something different with the boarder of my cityscape. Overall, I was able to create two complex compositions by having very strong concept, craftsmanship and creativity.



1 comment:

  1. I think one of your strongest medias is actually collage....not photography. These look like the things I can find on pinterest for inspiration. Your composition and color palate is amazing. You should defiantly do more of this along with you photography.

    ReplyDelete